Flood Information

Salt Creek Flood Levels

Illinois United States Geological Survey (USGS) website will allow you to access real-time water levels for Salt Creek. Within this site, you can either go directly to view Salt Creek levels by entering the specific Gauge number (05531410 for 22nd Street and 05531300 for Elmhurst) or simply navigate around the USGS site for other options.

Elmhurst Quarry Flood Control Facility

When Salt Creek water elevations reach near flood stage, excess flood water is held in the Elmhurst Quarry until creek water levels have receded to safe levels. Information regarding the operation of this flood control facility is available at The County of DuPage Wheaton, Illinois.

National Flood Insurance Program: Community Rating System Outreach Project

The best time to prepare for a flood is before it happens. Floods cause anguish and destruction physically, emotionally and financially. Village of Oak Brook residents have experienced flooding from Salt Creek, Ginger Creek, and sewer backups in the past. As homeowners, there are a few things you should know about flood safety, preventing flood damage, flood plain regulation, and insurance.

Flood Safety

A number of precautions should be taken in the event of a flood. Electricity and gas should be turned off if your home is being flooded. Walking through flood water should be avoided especially if the flood water is moving rapidly as drowning is the number one cause of flood deaths, mostly during flash floods. Currents can be deceptive; six inches of moving water can knock you off your feet. If you walk in standing water, use a pole or stick to ensure that the ground is still there. Do not drive through a flooded area as more people drown in their cars than anywhere else. Don't drive around road barriers; the road or bridge may be washed out. After exposure to flood water, residents are advised to receive a tetanus shot if they have not received one in awhile.

Preventing Flood Damage

The village provides advice on how to retrofit buildings to prevent flood damage. There are generally five approaches to retrofitting: elevation, barriers, dry flood proofing, wet flood proofing, and basement protection. Other property protection measures include grading, ditch cleaning, moving furniture and sandbagging.

Flood Plain Development

Development in or near a flood plain may be allowed only upon application and issuance of the appropriate village permits. Flood plain map information is available through Development Services at (630) 368-5101. If you are planning to build, fill or otherwise develop in a flood plain, please contact Building Division at (630) 368-5101. If you witness what you believe to be illegal flood plain development, please contact the Village Engineering Consultant at (630) 368-5144.

Village Code also states that existing structures shall not be enlarged, replaced or structurally altered unless the changes meet the requirements for development. If the changes constitute substantial improvement to a building in the flood plain, then the entire building will need to meet the requirements for development. Substantial improvement is when the cost of reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition, or other improvements to a building equals or exceeds 50% of the market value. Substantially damaged buildings must also be brought up to the same standards. Enforcement of this requirement is achieved through the permitting procedure.

Flood Insurance

The Flood Disaster Protection Act of 1973 helps to ensure that you will be protected from financial losses caused by flooding. Backed by the U.S. Government, flood insurance is available to residents in more than 18,000 communities across America that participate in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). It provides coverage that most homeowners insurance does not (e.g. coverage for damage to structures and contents from flooding, flood-related erosion, and mud slides). In all of these communities, you can purchase flood insurance from any licensed property or casualty insurance agent, broker or company.

You must have flood insurance to get secured financing to buy, build, or improve structures in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs). Lending institutions that are federally regulated or insured must determine if the building is in a SFHA and require flood insurance on conventional home mortgage loans, Flood Hazard Area (FHA) loans, Veterans Affairs (VA) loans, second mortgages, home equity loans, home improvement loans, construction loans and commercial loans. In addition, a 30 day waiting period exists before the insurance is effective.

Flood insurance coverage is an asset to you as a borrower. It reimburses you for financial losses from flood damage. With one annual premium you have peace of mind that your losses will be covered. The law protects you from being uninsured and having to rely on a costly federal disaster loan after a flood. This loan is the same as another mortgage that must be paid back with interest.

All taxpayers benefit, too, when those in flood-prone areas buy flood insurance. As floods occur, the insurance mechanism pays for the covered losses rather than U.S. Treasury funds for federal disaster assistance.

Flood insurance protects your most important investment. It is considerably less expensive than federal disaster loans and is 100% backed by the U.S. Government. Call toll free the National Flood Insurance Program at 1.800.638.6620 to answer any questions you may have about flood insurance. Details on flood insurance are also available from your insurance agent or company.

Additional Information

The Community Rating Systems (CRS) annual progress report can be found here CRS (PDF).  If you have questions about the information in this article, please feel free to contact the village's CRS Coordinator at (630) 368-5104. In addition, the Oak Brook Library maintains a selection of publications pertaining to the National Flood Insurance Program including insurance requirements, flood proofing techniques, proper grading, etc. Please take advantage of these resources by visiting the Library at 600 Oak Brook Road. Finally, you may also contact the Federal Emergency Management Agency.